[ntp:questions] Nice fanless high-perf NTP server: Fitlet!

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at tmsw.no
Fri Jan 16 17:15:06 UTC 2015

Hal Murray wrote:

>> Re. the Fitlet: With a 3.9 to 4.5 W power budget this box will never get
>> into those ranges, but even handling 1K requests/second with sub-ms  jitter
>> and delay would still be a very nice Pool server.
>
> A Raspberry PI can do 1500 packets per second.

OK, that's pretty nice actually.

Since the Fitlet seems to have something like 25-50% of the cpu power of
a Xeon, I would estimate closer to 100K requests/second as the real
limit for a box based on this platform, but at those rates queuing
delays will tend to increase packet jitter a bit.

> That's a simple measurement with one request in flight at a time.  There are
> lots of reasons that real traffic might go faster or slower.

:-)

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, in
practice there is."

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>