[ntp:questions] Timekeeping on Windows 2008r2 VM on Linux QEMU/KVM

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Wed Jan 21 22:24:54 UTC 2015

Paul writes:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 9:48 AM, Sander Smeenk <ssmeenk at freshdot.net> wrote:
>
> > What is actually wrong with running ntpdate to initially sync a clock?

It's no longer needed, as best as I can tell.  'ntpd -g' will accept any
size initial correction and keep running.  If you really want to set the
time once and not run ntpd, look at 'sntp' or 'ntpd -q'.  Also see:

 http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Dev/DeprecatingNtpdate

> Nothing. The party line is that ntpdate and ntpdc are deprecated.   I do
> hope that ntpq eventually incorporates all the features (I care about) of
> ntpdc and ntpdate before they stop maintaining them.

What is missing?  We thought we caught all of the useful cases.

I see no open bug reports, and we could also use:

 http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Dev/DeprecatingNtpdc

as a means to discuss these, like the similar topic for
DeprecatingNtpdate.

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>