[ntp:questions] Timekeeping on Windows 2008r2 VM on Linux QEMU/KVM

Paul tik-tok at bodosom.net
Thu Jan 22 02:34:38 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 6:00 PM, Mike Cook <michael.cook at sfr.fr> wrote:

>   I don't have a free client to test this on, but I believe that by
> default ntpdate will SLEW the clock

Yes, even the most cursory grep of ntpdate shows adjtime and slewing.  The
-b and -B flags provide coarse controls.  Unless you're a victim of
SYS_WINNT.

Or (given adjtime) you could trust the man page.  Under SYS_WINNT it
appears to log an error about not using -b if you don't use -b.

     -b     Force the time to be stepped using the settimeofday(2) system
call,
             rather than slewed (default) using the adjtime(2) system
call.  This
             option should be used when called from a startup file at boot
time.