[ntp:questions] Trouble using refclock 18 (ACTS)

Paul tik-tok at bodosom.net
Sat Jan 24 17:02:24 UTC 2015

I have a USR 5637 connected to a Linux host using a VoIP line.  I can
manually dial and often* successfully connect to the NIST/USNO numbers.
When used as a server it typically manages two (at random) successful
connections over 8 polls. All other connection attempts fail including all
other calls after the second success.  Restarting NTPd repeats the 2 of 8
process. I did remove the  Y command from the modem initialization string
since it doesn't do what's expected.

Does anyone have any tips for getting this to work reliably?

*Often is ~ 60%. Sometimes the line is busy, sometimes no carrier,
sometimes the baud is wrong but most failures are silent time outs.