[ntp:questions] Leap second to be introduced in June

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Tue Jan 27 01:52:39 UTC 2015

I'm expecting that NTPv5 will include things like the timescale used by
the timestamp, so as long as the systems agree on how to convert
timescales if they are not the same between the client and server
(hello, General Timestamp API) it will be OK if an NTPv4 or NTPv5 box
talks to an NTPv5 box, as the V5 machines will handle timescale
conversions and we can specify in the Standard that v4 boxes speak
POSIX, so the machine running the "smear" must do a conversion.

I'll be talking about this a bit in my FOSDEM talk.

And while there is much to appreciate about the half-cosine smear, one
thing some folks *hate* about it is that time from these machines is
wrong on both frequency *and* time, to varying degrees, throughout the
day.
--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>