[ntp:questions] Leap second to be introduced in June

Mike Cook mike.cook at orange.fr
Mon Jan 12 05:46:59 UTC 2015

strange response!

> Le 11 janv. 2015 à 21:18, Paul <tik-tok at bodosom.net> a écrit :
>
> Why do folks mention leap seconds on this list?

  part of the NTP protocol deals with the scheduling insertion/deletion of leap seconds.

> Why do people point to leap-seconds.NTPtimestamp instead of just
> leap-seconds.list?

  leap-seconds.list is not the file itself, but a symbolic link, which in itself contains no relevant information other than the pathname, in this case relative, to the actual file.
  The symbolic link leap-seconds.list does not exist on some repositories of the information, for example on the navy server tyco.
  Using the full timestamped name is also the only way of unambiguously identifying this data. The time stamp differs on different sources.