[ntp:questions] Compiling 4.2.8 for windows.

Young, David dayoung at akamai.com
Tue Jan 13 17:39:37 UTC 2015

Greetings, I have a need to compile 4.2.8 for windows, and I'm having some problems and have questions.  I have followed documents like the hints.html linked off ntp.org.

Does the source tarball on the front page of ntp.org/downloads[1] actually compile on windows unmodified? I am perusing the list and see comments on the "NTP for Windows Not Branded" thread that refer to certain modifications required to get ntp to compile under windows, additional files or tweaks to .h and project files.  Are these modifications documented elsewhere or is there an [official] ntp.org download of a patch to apply these fixes?

Also, what version of visual studio is preferred for compiling ntp lately? I've seen some comments that the Visual Studio 2013 may not be a complete feature yet, but again the comments in the "NTP for Windows Not Branded" thread indicate that 2013 is currently in use.  I'd kind of prefer 2008 since that's what I happen to have in my environment already, especially if that version of the build is considered more stable.

[1] http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ntp_spool/ntp4/ntp-4.2/ntp-4.2.8.tar.gz