[ntp:questions] Nice fanless high-perf NTP server: Fitlet!

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Jan 15 15:03:58 UTC 2015

On Thursday, January 15, 2015 08:41:17 AM Terje Mathisen did opine
And Gene did reply:
> http://linuxgizmos.com/tiny-fanless-mini-pc-runs-linux-on-quad-core-am
> d-soc/
>
> This little guy starts at $129 and includes a serial port which should
> make it trivial to attach a Sure GPS board.
>
> With a dual or quad 64-bit CPU, both SATA and SD storage connectors
> and versions that support multiple Gbit/s Ethernet ports, it would
> seem to be a nice NTPD startum 1 server.
>
> Terje

With the proper I/O card in that weird shape format that would give the
equ of one of the Mesanet cards such as a 5i25, this might also be a
great bit of kit for the entry level CNC machining crowd.  We are
currently using a pair of the D525MW Intel dual core atom based boards,
which does come with a header for a parport, one setup for software
stepper driving a 4 axis mill, and one with a 5i25 card driving a lathe.
But the D525MW  was disco'd better than a year ago.

Does anyone know what the IRQ latency is?  It might be competition for
the beaglebone black with its mass of programmable I/O.  That CNC
project, based on LinuxCNC, which you can google, is known as MachineKIT.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)