[ntp:questions] moving from ntpdc to ntpq

catherine.wei1989 at gmail.com catherine.wei1989 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 09:30:58 UTC 2015

On Saturday, February 28, 2015 at 4:24:14 PM UTC+8, David Taylor wrote:
> On 28/02/2015 01:17, catherine.wei1989 at gmail.com wrote:
> []
> > Hi, Harlan
> > In my system, ntpdc was used to add an ntp server and the command is like this:
> >      ntpdc -c "keyid 0" -c addserver 10.172.161.16 minpoll 3 maxpoll 4 burst
> > since keyid is 0, we don't need authentication. But now, I use ntpq to replace ntpdc, if I add :config before "addserver", I need to authenticate. Is there any way to avoid authenticate in ntpq utility? Thank you. I don't know how to addserver in ntpq. There's little knowledge about this on the Internet. Thank you so much.
>
> Catherine,
>
> Could you remind me again why you need to add and remove servers rather
> than letting NTP get on with the job?  The pool directive allows NTP to
> add an discard servers as it needs, with NTP monitoring each server's
> performance.  Could that be an alternative approach?  If you are in a
> test environment, what's wrong with simply editing ntp.conf and restarting?
>
> --
> Cheers,
> David
> Web: http://www.satsignal.eu

Hi,David,
In our system, we need to unconfig and restrict in some operations through ntpq utility which originally was realized by ntpdc. However, ntpdc doesn't work now. In other words, we need to find an equivalent of ntpdc to unconfig, restrict . I found that the ntpq commands are not complete in related documents.

Best Regards.