[ntp:questions] GSoC 15 : Testing NTP protocol project

Lokesh Walase flokeshw24 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 20:05:59 UTC 2015

Hello all,

I'm interested in the GSoC project of testing as mentioned here
<http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Dev/GSoCProjectIdeas>.

*What I have done so far : *
>Gone through the Keeping Time
<http://www.tldp.org/LDP/sag/html/keeping-time.html> document to get an
overview.
>Downloaded latest ntp-4.2.8p1.
Going through the files at : ntp-4.2.8p1/tests/libntp

*My Doubts : *
0.Do you want me to understand how the test-files at
ntp-4.2.8p1/tests/libntp work?

1.Shall I go through : RFC-5905 "Network Time Protocol Version 4: Protocol
and Algorithms Specification"?

2.Is there any step-by-step documentation regarding how to run the tests at
ntp-4.2.8p1/tests/libntp?
I would like to see how they actually work.

3.ntpdate command works on my laptop. Does this mean ntp is installed on my
laptop?
Or I need to install it from source?

*Any other guideline/suggestion regarding what I must look into will be
really helpful.*
Thanks.

~ Lokesh Walase