[ntp:questions] Source port for NTP

Geoff Down geoffdown at fastmail.net
Tue Nov 3 18:26:36 UTC 2015

[this list should really have the Reply-To header set properly]
Hi Hans,

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 11:59 AM, MAYER Hans wrote:
> When ntpd was started it takes either the default path for ntp.conf -
> this is typically  /etc/ntp.conf or /etc/inet/ntp.conf
> Or ntpd was invoked with option -c
> This you can verify with the ps command.

 I do however have two ntpds: /usr/sbin/ntpd and /opt/local/sbin/ntpd -
 the latter is running.

> If you want to look for the current ( running config ) you can ( and I am
> sure you know ) save the config with command " saveconfig" within ntpq.

"This command will be
                      rejected by the server unless saveconfigdir:
                            miscopt.html#saveconfigdir
                      appears in the ntpd configuration file"

I guess I could add that option to both ntp.conf files - would I then
have to stop and restart ntpd or can it be forced to reload a new
config?

"ntpq -c saveconfig ntpconfig
No address associated with nodename

ntpq -c saveconfig ntpconfig localhost