[ntp:questions] different parameters for sntp between sles12 and sels11?

Tue Nov 24 21:38:31 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-23 02:47, Keshav B wrote:
> On SLES 12, I ran a '/usr/sbin/sntp -P no -r xx.xx.xx.xx' command to sync
> my system clock with the ntp server, it returned '/usr/sbin/sntp: illegal
> option -- P'.
> The version of sntp is Ver. 4.2.8p4
>
> While the same command work well on SLES11(version of sntp is Ver. 4.2.6).
> Could anybody having any knowledge how to resolve this in SLES 12?
>
> Please provide me the alternate way to use this -P option in SLES 12??

No such option in the new program - you were disabling prompting anyway.
New equivalent of old -r is -S - you can now also use -s and -M # to slew and/or step.

The old program was Nick McLaren's stand alone sntp, the new one uses NTP code.
Compare old http://doc.ntp.org/4.2.6p5/sntp.html and new https://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/sntp.html docs.