[ntp:questions] 4.2.8p9 build issue on ARM running Ubuntu 14.04

Fri Dec 2 13:55:26 UTC 2016

On 2016-12-01 23:48, Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Paul writes:
>> [conflicting types for 'EVP_MD_CTX']
>> I've been able to build every version for some time but I can't
>> build 4.2.8.p9/ARM/Ubuntu 14.04 because of the changes to
>> a_md5encrypt. I don't cross-compile.
>> Before I start trying to figure this out I thought I'd ask if
>> there's something obvious I've missed.
> I think it happened to me once on a pre-release on one OS. On that
> machine I traced it to an ancient version of OpenSSL that was being
> used instead of a more recent version of OpenSSL.
> By chance do you have multiple versions of openssl installed?

Just doing the same thing on related Debian which provides 8p9 on
stretch (testing), whereas Ubuntu still only provides 8p8 on zesty,
and both provide only 6p5 on current stable.
Have to rebuild from source to add PPS support, but they're obviously
still working on that package as there were issues.
Running "apt show ntp/stretch" depends on packages and -dev packages
for libs shown below, so as well as "apt-get build-dep ntp/stretch"
to get build dependencies upgraded which had issues, needed to manually
"apt install autogen/stretch libopts25-dev/stretch dh-apparmor/stretch"
for Debian (you may not have or need debian-helper dh-apparmor on
Ubuntu), although I probably should have added them to
/etc/apt/preferences and redone apt-get build-dep.
Due to install issues, also had to package and install the tmp package
directories, and merge the Debian system script source changes,
manually.

Package: ntp
Version: 1:4.2.8p9+dfsg-2
Installed-Size: 1,308 kB
Maintainer: Debian NTP Team <pkg-ntp-maintainers at lists.alioth.debian.org>
Replaces: apparmor-profiles-extra (<< 1.8)
Depends: adduser, lsb-base (>= 3.2-13), netbase, libc6 (>= 2.17), libcap2 (>= 1:2.10), libedit2 (>= 2.11-20080614), libopts25 (>= 1:5.18.12), libssl1.1 (>= 1.1.0)
Pre-Depends: dpkg (>= 1.15.7.2)
Recommends: perl:any
Suggests: ntp-doc
Breaks: apparmor-profiles-extra (<< 1.8), dhcp3-client (<< 4.1.0-1)