[ntp:questions] Fw: NTP and Trimble TSIP

Wed Feb 17 00:40:24 UTC 2016

On 2016-02-16 08:57, Paul wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 7:48 AM, Neil Green <ncguk at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hi, yes, timepps.h is in my source tree. I can make the Copernicus II
>> output NMEA all day long but I'm considering buying one of these:
>

> You should use driver 29 (GPS_PALISADE) except two years on and there's
> been no interest in supporting newer Trimble devices (Resolution etc.).  I
> can send you a patch (which also fixes the smal bug in the Thunderbolt
> code) that I'd expect to work with the ICM if you like.
>
> Note that the consensus is that 10Mhz from from a GPS module is pretty bad.

Regular GPS modules using DDS to generate 10Mhz may be bad, but other Trimble products are used as secondary references, and their Thunderbolts are designed as GPSDOs with drifts below 10^-12: check out time-nuts list posts about them. Only H maser, Rb, Cs primary references by HP/Agilent/Keysight have better reps.

This module specs don't mention frequency output other than 1PPS which is specced within 60ns, so much better than almost all. If it also supports TRAIM and sawtooth correction, the driver can improve on that.