[ntp:questions] ntpd sensitivity to ordering of servers in ntp.conf?

Miroslav Lichvar mlichvar at redhat.com
Thu Feb 25 13:13:57 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 02:49:48AM -0800, Weber wrote:
> ntp.conf is specifies both servers with minpoll 4/maxpoll 4. Peer and loop
> statistics are enabled.

> By just changing the order of servers in ntp.conf the delay and offset
> values in peerstats are swapped. Now it is A with 60us delay and B has 85us.
> Similarly, A's offset is not -5us and B is showing +5us.
>
> It appears there is something in ntpd where measurements on server A in
> ntp.conf come out slightly different depending its ordering in ntp.conf.

When A is specified as first in the config, the interval between
polling of A and B will be 1 second and the interval between B and A
will be 15 seconds. When you swap the servers, the intervals will be
swapped too. I think there could be a lot of things than would happen
in 15 seconds, but not in 1 second. Maybe some power saving feature is
activated or maybe some cache entry expires.

You could try adding B manually via ntpq -c config:, timing the
command so that the polling is exactly between two polls of B, and
see what happens with the delays. Or you could run ping against the
servers to keep the link "up".

The direction in which the offset changed suggests it's the processing
of the server packet that has the extra delay.

--
Miroslav Lichvar