[ntp:questions] Fwd: Re: Poll interval stuck

Mon Jan 18 15:47:32 UTC 2016

On 2016-01-18 03:07, Geoff Down wrote:

>> On 2016-01-16 17:39, Geoff Down wrote:
>>> Thanks both, its a PowerMac PPC (so not recent....)
>>>        remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
>>>        jitter
>>> ==============================================================================
>>> *ussjc2-ntp-002. .GPSs.           1 u   63   64  377  153.056    1.119
>>> 0.276
>>
>> Instead of the default config e.g.
>> 	server time.apple.com
>> which appears to have selected a server on the other side of a continent
>> or
>> ocean from you (153ms delay!) - Cupertino, California, USA
>> you might want to change that to e.g.
>> 	pool time.apple.com  iburst preempt
>> 	pool pool.ntp.org    iburst preempt
>> or even
>> 	pool CC.pool.ntp.org iburst preempt
>> where CC is your two character ISO country code e.g. us...
>> in the hopes that ntpd can pick some better server(s) closer to you.
>>

> Thank you. Once I've edited my config, is there a way to reload it
> without stopping ntpd altogether?

Not supported and generally not very useful when you change the config
so drastically. SIGHUP restart generally wipes everything when supported.

Googling says some releases and settings replace ntp.conf with Apple's.

Please ensure that you have backups of your old and new ntp.conf files
and, depending on your OSX release, you have modified ntp startup so
that your config will not be overwritten by Apple's when you restart.

Checking System Preferences for Network Time, how launchd handles ntp
restarts, and some more specific Googling than I can infer, should tell
you what you may need to watch out for.