[ntp:questions] ntpd NMEA / PPS on linux kernel 3.18+ - PPS broken ?

Brandon Applegate brandon at burn.net
Thu Jan 21 23:19:08 UTC 2016

> On Jan 20, 2016, at 11:11 PM, Brandon Applegate <brandon at burn.net> wrote:

Replying to myself here - my confusion is increasing.  I see the first entry on the LinuxPPS FAQ is this:

http://linuxpps.org/wiki/index.php/LinuxPPS_FAQ

—
Q1
Running my NTPD driver I see in the log messages:
[ntpd] refclock_nmea: time_pps_kcbind failed: Operation not supported

Is that an implementation bug?
A1
No. The function time_pps_kcbind() is defined as «optional» into RFC 2783 and, simply, LinuxPPS doesn't implement it! :)
Userland programs which wish to use it should take this fact into account.
—

What does this mean ?  How was this working for all this time ?  Is this not the same issue myself and some others are hitting ?

Like I said - I’m getting more confused...