[ntp:questions] "pool" directive and 4.2.8p8

Gabor Kiss kissg at niif.hu
Mon Nov 14 11:57:25 UTC 2016

Hi, folks!

Recently I reconfigured two dozens of NTP 4.2.6p5 clients
in order to use a single "pool" config line instead of four "server"s.
Everything works well.
Now I met a 4.2.8p8 daemon on a virtual machine with IPv6.
I set the config as I used to:

	tos minclock 3 maxclock 5
	pool 2.hu.pool.ntp.org iburst

(2.hu.pool instead of simple hu.pool is intentional)

But after restart I can see this:

# ntpq -p
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
 2.hu.pool.ntp.o .POOL.          16 p    -   64    0    0.000    0.000   0.000
#

That is quite strange. There are no servers, no sync.
I had to put back the more conventional config:

	server 0.hu.pool.ntp.org iburst
	server 1.hu.pool.ntp.org iburst
	server 2.hu.pool.ntp.org iburst
	server 3.hu.pool.ntp.org iburst