[ntp:questions] NTP 128ms

MORRIS, Joe J Joe.MORRIS at nats.co.uk
Thu Oct 6 12:49:42 UTC 2016

Probably a simple answer, but I don't seem to be able to find it. I understand that any difference between the time source and expected time on the client below 128ms will result in the local time being changed to reflect the new time. What safeguards are there in place to stop the time source (either through fault or malicious attack) changing the time by say 100ms every time its polled? Assuming a poll every minute, over 10 minutes, the time could be changed by a second.

Many thanks

If you are not the intended recipient, please notify our Help Desk at Email information.solutions at nats.co.uk
immediately. You should not copy or use this email or attachment(s) for any purpose nor disclose
their contents to any other person.

NATS computer systems may be monitored and communications carried on them recorded, to
secure the effective operation of the system.

Please note that neither NATS nor the sender accepts any responsibility for viruses or any losses
caused as a result of viruses and it is your responsibility to scan or otherwise check this email
and any attachments.

NATS means NATS (En Route) plc (company number: 4129273), NATS (Services) Ltd
(company number 4129270), NATSNAV Ltd (company number: 4164590)
or NATS Ltd (company number 3155567) or NATS Holdings Ltd (company number 4138218).
All companies are registered in England and their registered office is at 4000 Parkway,
Whiteley, Fareham, Hampshire, PO15 7FL.