[ntp:questions] System clock going slow/fast with ntpdate MIPS

Deepak Gaur dgaur at cdot.in
Thu Oct 27 05:20:49 UTC 2016

Hello,

I have board with MIPS 34Kc processor and linux-2.6.29 with CONFIG_HZ_250=y set
in kernel configuration (i.e 250 timer
interrupts per 1 real second in /proc/interrupts). When I try to synchronize
time using ntpdate command, the time gets
synchronized. This resync is being done every 5 min using cron. The clocksource
is set to jiffies and is the only source
available. After some time (1 hr and more) the system clock (kernel/software)
sometimes starts slowing down and sometime
goes fast. System time increments very slowly i.e 1 sec on system takes 8-9
real seconds (as per wrist watch) or fast 2
sec in 1 real second.

#date
Tue Oct 25 15:14:05 IST 2016
# date
Tue Oct 25 15:14:05 IST 2016
# date
Tue Oct 25 15:14:05 IST 2016
# date
Tue Oct 25 15:14:05 IST 2016
# date
Tue Oct 25 15:14:05 IST 2016
# date
Tue Oct 25 15:14:05 IST 2016
# date
Tue Oct 25 15:14:05 IST 2016
# date
Tue Oct 25 15:14:05 IST 2016
# date
Tue Oct 25 15:14:05 IST 2016
# date
Tue Oct 25 15:14:06 IST 2016
# date
Tue Oct 25 15:14:06 IST 2016

(It took 10 date commands to increment from 14:05 to 15:06)

On further analysing the system we found the number of timer interrupts in
/proc/interrupts has actually gone down from
250 to 40 every 1 real second

(1) Normal Operation 10 real sec watch window

cat /proc/interrupts

Start of timer  MIPS timer intr count 3856633
End of Timer   MIPS timer intr count 3859268

Timing approximately 10-11 real sec, the interrupts are 263 per sec.

(2) Clock Slow (Less Timer Interrupts)
After ntpdate run for 1 hr once per 5 min

cat /proc/interrupts

Start of timer  MIPS timer intr count 985072
End of Timer   MIPS timer intr count 985492

985492 - 985072 = 420 in 10 sec (real) = 42 in 1 sec

(3) Fast Clock with ntpdate (More Timer interrupts)

Start of timer  MIPS timer intr count 4068301
End of Timer   MIPS timer intr count 4073411
985492 - 985072 = 5110 in 10 sec (real) = 511 in 1 real sec

ntpdate uses ntp_adjtime()/adjtimex() GNU libc system call for changing system
clock and can change it but by a very
small amount.

But the issue is it is changing system clock so much that other application
have started behaving erratically, timers
are not expiring in required time etc.. and once the system clock has slowed
down/fast it remains in that state.

# cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/available_clocksource
jiffies

# cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource
jiffies

We are using gcc version 4.5.2  and gnu libc

Please help me in understanding this behaviour of NTP with MIPS Linux and
possible fixes if any. Is it a kernel bug or a
configuration issue?

regards,

Deepak Gaur