[ntp:questions] Broadcast mode

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at burnicki.net
Mon Sep 12 10:47:05 UTC 2016

Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Martin Burnicki writes:
>> on the server:
>>
>> server 127.127.1.0
>> fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 0
>
> Martin, why do you recommend stratum 0 instead of leaving the default,
> stratum 5?

Because it basically doesn't matter in an isolated network where a
free-running clock is used as the main time source if you set the local
clock stratum to 0, 1, or 5, except that some non-ntpd clients may look
at the stratum and may not accept the server if the stratum is too high.

*If* there is a different time source available to the server then I
agree stratum 5 would be a better choice for the local clock.

[...]
>> This is not accepted by some NTP implementations, and I'm not sure if
>> ntpd as client would even accept a stratum 5 server, broadcast or not.
>
> The default stratum for a local refclock should be just fine.

Oops, In the above paragraph I meant a stratum 15 server, if the local
clock stratum was fudged to 14, as suggested by the OP.

Martin