[ntp:questions] Time syncing with something other than ntpd

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at tmsw.no
Mon Jan 30 07:38:34 UTC 2017

sean wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm real interested in NTP and accurate time, hence why I'm on this
> newsgroup. I would like to look into getting a time sensor and I hear
> the Garmin GPS 18X is what some folks run unless they need much more
> precision. Is this still a pretty well regarding GPS unit for pretty
> accurate (I know that's highly subjective) time keeping? This would be
> a hobbyist thing and I'm not running an important business, if you were
> going to ask.

I have had a Garmin 18 as well as 3-4 SURE kits, the latter is half the
price, requires about the same amount of soldering, and has been
measured at the 20-30 ns level, so quite accurate.

> Next question...Do most folks here use the NTPD client, or it is a
> mixture of Chrony and openNTPD? Maybe some folks just go with what ships
> with their OS?

Since I've been on the NTP Hackers team for a couple of decades I'm
partial to the original ntpd. :-)

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>