[ntp:questions] ***SPAM*** How to sync my system clock when there is high offset

Mike Cook michael.cook at sfr.fr
Fri Jun 9 14:28:07 UTC 2017

> Le 9 juin 2017 à 12:52, Ashish Kurian <ashishbnv at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> Hi Folks,
>
> In my ntpq -p output, I see that the offset is around 70 milli second. How
> can I force my system clock to sync with the NTP server time. If I wait for
> a day, I know that the value will come down, but how can i get it synced
> without such long wait?

Again, and I would say «  as usual » , not enough info in the question to make a reasonable guess. A bit like answering the question «  how long is a piece of sting? ».
That said, if you detected that just after starting ntpd, it probably means the you need the « -g » option on startup.
If you were monitoring and the offset suddenly jumped to 70ms, check the delay field to see if it jumped. Maybe your routing changed. If that value stayed constant, check your system load. Maybe ntpd is starving. If that has not changed, go look see what the server was doing.