[ntp:questions] what is refid in ntpq -pn

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Sat May 6 21:39:42 UTC 2017

On 06/05/17 22:24, Hans Mayer wrote:

> I always thought "refid"  for command "ntpq -pn" shows the next upstream server for the remote server listed below "remote". But now I have my concerns.

Officially, it is an opaque 32 bit identifier for the selected upstream
peer of the peer.  You are not supposed to assume it has any more
meaning, even though, on pure IPv4 systems, it is derived in the way you
describe.

Note that the selected peer is not the only source of time; it is just
the one used for the quality parameters.