[ntp:questions] NTP under AIX?

Greg Moeller skywise at gmail.com
Tue May 16 19:57:31 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 2:21:07 PM UTC-5, William Unruh wrote:
> On 2017-05-16, Greg Moeller  wrote:
> > On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 10:37:55 AM UTC-5, Greg Moeller wrote:
> >> Has anyone come across the advisability of running an enterprise-wide NTP server under an AIX LPAR?
> >> We're currently running NTP on old Intel hardware and the company policy is to refresh hardware on a regular basis.
> >> It seems a waste to buy several new servers if we could just put the NTP service on an AIX LPAR.
> >
> > I'm at a large company, serving NTP to over >1000 systems.
>
> > Policy is that we can't have old hardware, so they will spend several thousand $$ on servers to run a single process.  (we're an IBM/Lenovo based shop)
>
> Raspberry Pi is not old hardware.
Oh, I could imagine the fun trying to install a Pi into the datacentre. :)
"it needs redundant power supplies, dual network, mirrored drives, Gold support contract (on hardware and OS of course), proper rack mounting system"

> > Technically, yes, this is a virtual machine, but this is on 250K$+ hardware, not something like ESXi or Xen.
>
> Unfortunately ntp does not look at the price tag on the machine. It is
> still a very bad idea to run ntp as a server on a virtual OS.
So, the best bet would be to buy a dedicated NTP appliance?
Any suggestions?  No access to the outside so no need for radio/stratum 1 ability.

> > (and CPU/RAM/hardware can be dedicated to the LPAR if needed)
>

> > These boxes are meant for heavy lifting, the same type of frames power AIX, iSeries, IBM mainframe, and Watson.
>
> My semi costs $1000000 and does very heavy hauling. What do you mean I
> cannot enter it into the Indie 500?
Of course you can.  Will it do very well in the race?  Possibly not.  But it wouldn't have to pit so maybe it could be a tortoise/hare thing.  :)
You can also haul a load of merchandise to a warehouse with a panel truck or a pickup truck.  Is it very good at it?  Probably not.
Is the IBM P series hardware very good at multitasking?  Yes, yes it is.  (that's what it's main/only job is)

> > Is there a way to test?  It seems like I'm heading into the unknown here.  :)
>
> No. It is not unkown. It is well known. It is a bad idea.
Technically, running NTP on unix isn't a very good idea as all unix systems are multitasking and can get busy/lose time.  I suppose the question is how sloppy any given system might be.
A nice oven-controlled-crystal dedicated system running a dedicated OS just for time keeping would serve the best time.