[ntp:questions] NTP under AIX?

William Unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Tue May 16 19:17:44 UTC 2017

On 2017-05-16, Greg Moeller <skywise at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 10:37:55 AM UTC-5, Greg Moeller wrote:
>> Has anyone come across the advisability of running an enterprise-wide NTP server under an AIX LPAR?
>> We're currently running NTP on old Intel hardware and the company policy is to refresh hardware on a regular basis.
>> It seems a waste to buy several new servers if we could just put the NTP service on an AIX LPAR.
>
> I'm at a large company, serving NTP to over >1000 systems.

> Policy is that we can't have old hardware, so they will spend several thousand $$ on servers to run a single process.  (we're an IBM/Lenovo based shop)

Raspberry Pi is not old hardware.

> Technically, yes, this is a virtual machine, but this is on 250K$+ hardware, not something like ESXi or Xen.

Unfortunately ntp does not look at the price tag on the machine. It is
still a very bad idea to run ntp as a server on a virtual OS.

> (and CPU/RAM/hardware can be dedicated to the LPAR if needed)

> These boxes are meant for heavy lifting, the same type of frames power AIX, iSeries, IBM mainframe, and Watson.

My semi costs $1000000 and does very heavy hauling. What do you mean I
cannot enter it into the Indie 500?

> Is there a way to test?  It seems like I'm heading into the unknown here.  :)

No. It is not unkown. It is well known. It is a bad idea.