[ntp:questions] NTP under AIX?

Wed May 17 20:43:59 UTC 2017

On 2017-05-16 09:37, Greg Moeller wrote:
> Has anyone come across the advisability of running an enterprise-wide
> NTP server under an AIX LPAR?
> We're currently running NTP on old Intel hardware and the company
> policy is to refresh hardware on a regular basis.
> It seems a waste to buy several new servers if we could just put the
> NTP service on an AIX LPAR.

If you can dedicate a CPU or two at *constant* clock speed, a GB or two
of memory (depending on OS), and a network port or two, you should be
able to run a stratum 2 server.
Do the same on four more servers for redundancy allowing for 2 false
tickers, and peer them all up, to serve stratum 3 internally.

If your datacentre is near Boulder, some of the NIST or USNO public
server locations, time standards orgs in other countries, or large
universities providing public servers, you may be able to make
arrangements for better quality and/or symmetric key authenticated
upstream sources.

You have to get wire in, so you may be able to get a low loss antenna
cable pulled in from a GPS antenna with an LNA, a low noise GPS splitter,
and put GPS receivers and/or appliances in a couple of network closets,
on separate power feeds with backup power exercised regularly.

If you can add dedicated serial ports to your servers and LPARs, you
could look at a couple of NIST TMAS with NISTDO, each giving you multiple
lab grade UTC synced PPS with continuous monitoring, to feed your servers
over serial cables, and allow them to run at stratum 1, or equivalent
services and appliances in other countries.

The datacentre should have designed in and set up this kind of stuff
as a facility service.