[ntp:questions] NTP under AIX?

Thu May 18 18:20:22 UTC 2017

On 2017-05-18 09:37, Paul wrote:
> On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 10:55 AM, Terje Mathisen wrote:
>> David Taylor wrote:
>>> You could get a dedicated NTP box such as:
>>> http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=272
>>> and scatter a few or a dozen around your enterprise.
>> That's an very good price point for a nice box. :-)
> It is a nice price but there are some issues with "a dozen around
> your enterprise".
> The worst is common mode faults. Another concern is NTP "compatible"
> in a lightweight (or dedicated system). Some people want the full
> capabilities of the reference implemention (e.g. auth or peer).
> Others want the options of a full OS (e.g. native firewall and
> traffic monitoring).
> For folks with the resources I would suggest a clique of JF Fury
> GPSDOs and a selection of various generation (6,7 and 8) EVK boxes
> from u-Blox and something from Trimble. All of which you can plug
> into any box with a serial port.  I've used PCEngine systems with
> PCI serial cards.

JLT Fury is overkill if you don't need better than Rb performance
and stability.
If you do, JLT also offer their Rb and CsAC GPS/GNS DOs, and
multi-frequency if you can qualify.
They also offer units for time-stamping financial transactions,
which may be more relevant, and GNSDOs if you like alternatives.
I would suggest a JLT LC-XO Kit, with much better guaranteed temp
range, performance, support, and price point (some time-nuts
discounts!) for NAns, than the initial suggestion.
I believe they usually use uBlox GPS timing chips, and offer
modules to replace Motorola and Trimble originals.
Also desirable are different types of antennae on top of each side
of the facility, away from any cables, cameras, or lights.

> Or you can just use the pool and be satisfied with ms level
> performance.

Ha - as if! ;^>
No point pinging pool servers if they are never selected as a
backup candidate, even on my Windows or RPi systems.
I doubt anyone replying here is satisfied with pool servers,
although those with static IPs available may provide them.
I have local university servers as my last chance backups, if
backbone carriers or interconnects go down, as Qwest did a few
years ago, letting or getting HE into the dotCA IXP scene.