[ntp:questions] NTP under AIX?

Thu May 18 19:06:43 UTC 2017

On 2017-05-18 12:12, William Unruh wrote:
> On 2017-05-18, Terje Mathisen <terje.mathisen at tmsw.no> wrote:
>> David Taylor wrote:
>>> You could get a dedicated NTP box such as:
>>> http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=272
>>> and scatter a few or a dozen around your enterprise. Brand new
>>> hardware!
>> That's an very good price point for a nice box. :-)
> The price appears to be 300GPB. It is GPS driven, so the OP would have
> to install this outside of his datacenter, where he claims there is no
> possibility of getting a GPS signal. Whether he is allowed to have one
> of the machines, the ntp server, live outside the datacenter is unclear,
> even though it is very limited in its ability to affect any of the
> machines inside (security concerns I suppose).

It does not say so, or much, including temp range, but related products
show antennae, so one may be able to be installed outside, and cabled to
the box inside.

A lot of these types of boxes appear to be some type of SoC board with
some GPS module, some Linux distro, some NTP release, probably GPSd,
and with little in the way of docs, specs (typical: <1us!), guarantees,
or likely support and maintenance. They often feature pictures of fancy
VB displays with lots of settings; compare and contrast to Lady Heather:
displays only an engineer, physicist, or time-nut could appreciate.

For non-personal, production use, something with better docs, specs,
guarantees, support, maintenance, and provenance, with a wide temp
range, low delays and jitter, some mention of sawtooth and adev,
maybe PTP GrandMaster, from e.g. Meinberg, JLT, Trimble.