[ntp:questions] Looking for a NTP stratum 2 appliance

Matthew Huff mhuff at ox.com
Fri May 26 10:25:20 UTC 2017

You make some good points, but regulations don't always make technical sense. You are correct that we don't need OXCO oscillators, and we could drop that requirement, but it would be a good indicator that the hardware manufacturer isn't just slapping a regular PC together.

Replacing the NIC card on hundreds of servers and in some cases replacing/upgrading blades would be more expensive/time consuming than just purchasing dedicated NTP servers. It is our long term goal especially since we will eventually move to PTP. Our blade chassis at our colo site are already using PTP, just not our core datacenter.

The issues is that sometimes our stratum 2 servers drift away from NIST time (our stratum 2 servers are synced to NIST stratum 1 servers) by > 5 msec, violating FINRA regulations (it's a silly requirement). We are just trying to do our due diligence. I think I could accomplish the same thing by dedicated an OS box for just NTP, but again, if there was an appliance, and cost effective, it would be better.

----
Matthew Huff             | 1 Manhattanville Rd
Director of Operations   | Purchase, NY 10577
OTA Management LLC       | Phone: 914-460-4039