[ntp:questions] Looking for a NTP stratum 2 appliance

Paul tik-tok at bodosom.net
Fri May 26 12:03:24 UTC 2017

"The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) approved a new clock
synchronization standard of 50 milliseconds applicable to computer clocks
that are used to record certain events in NMS securities or OTC equity
securities. Firms have six months from the effective date, until February
20, 2017, to apply the new 50 millisecond standard to impacted system
clocks that capture time in milliseconds. Firms have eighteen months from
the effective date, until February 19, 2018, to apply the new standard to
impacted system clocks that do not capture time in milliseconds. [
http://www.finra.org/industry/notices/16-23]"

Perhaps you are referring to something other than the above requirement.
In any case 50 or 5 milliseconds is easily achieved on any random computer
unless there are uncontrolled external events.  You should control those
events.  A common problem is setting minpoll to some value other than 3.
Another is a misconfigured NIC or a speed mismatch.

Our nearly unmaintained S2 Linux servers manage  less than 100 microseconds
of jitter and 500 microseconds of offset compared to the S1 servers.

I'd be surprised if an appliance as spec'ed exists.