[ntp:questions] Looking for a NTP stratum 2 appliance

Mike Cook michael.cook at sfr.fr
Fri May 26 13:19:08 UTC 2017

> Le 26 mai 2017 à 11:35, Matthew Huff <mhuff at ox.com> a écrit :
>
> The OXCO oscillator requirement is for hold-over, but we are looking for less jitter in the system. We could strip down the OS machines and run only NTP and make other system adjustments that would accomplish much of the same, but to dedicated a server just for NTP when an appliance is available seems a waste.
>
> FINRA has made new timing requirements that are pushing this. Switching to PTP is ultimately the solution, but the switches in our core data center don't support it, and would be very costly to migrate to.

  You could check out the Spectracom NetClock Model 9489, which although is primarily a GPS stratum one device, also has Ethernet input for stratum 2 operation. It has a TCXO as LO, but with  S1 servers upstream should easily keep to the FIRNA constraints that I have been able to dig up. Any unloaded (other than NTP) micro server will get there as well. Mixing NTP with production loads never works.