[ntp:questions] Looking for a NTP stratum 2 appliance

Miroslav Lichvar mlichvar at redhat.com
Fri May 26 13:48:43 UTC 2017

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 12:11:30PM +0000, Matthew Huff wrote:
> Thanks. I agree that the appliance doesn’t appear to exist. It’s a shame that it doesn’t, I think it would be a good idea.
>
> The 50 msec isn’t that hard to reach on an average basis, but we routinely see drifts away from that on occasions. The minpoll idea would probably fix this, but was hesitant to poll that frequently. I just found NIST’s NTP page and they specify to not poll more frequently that every 4 seconds (minpoll 2). I wouldn’t have thought that they would want polling with minpoll 3, but it appears I was wrong. This may fix the issue by itself.

Using such a short polling interval over Internet would be a horrible
idea. NIST servers are overloaded and located in a network that has
problems with asymmetric routing. It's better to avoid them if
accuracy is a requirement. I thought you were using those stratum-1
servers you have and the requirement for accuracy was 10 or 100
microseconds, not milliseconds.

Anything should do better than 50 milliseconds as long as it's on
local network.

--
Miroslav Lichvar