[ntp:questions] NTPd server using DVB-T as clocksource

Chris Cappuccio chris at nmedia.net
Sun Oct 28 21:22:54 UTC 2018

Lars Schotte [lars at gustik.eu] wrote:

> Now, I do not like all this, that's why I ordered
> vk-172 gmouse g-mouse USB GPS/GLONASS USB over amazon
> and hope I can use that in combination with some Raspberry PI as NTPd
> clocksource, as I saw some ppl doing.
>
> But that is only one clocksource, multiple would be preferrable.
> I have some DVB-T adapter lying around that can also be used as a
> clocksource, since those old DVB-T adapters are not good for TV anymore
> since ppl are sending DVB-T2, there is still for the forseeable
> future enough frequencies that will be still old DVB-T and those have
> time signal in them that can be used SOMEHOW.

In OpenBSD, you would write a kernel USB driver that sets up the DVB-T
adapter to receive the appropriate signal and decode it. But the DVB
decoding might be too involved for what should be a small kernel driver.
Maybe you can hack the dvbdate utility into a source of NMEA 0183 data
to be opened as a socket from ntpd.

Chris