[ntp:questions] Mu whole Internet crashes when server is in the pool rotation

Thomas Laus lausts at acm.org
Sat Apr 27 14:22:04 UTC 2019

On 2019-04-27, jeliskoski at gmail.com <jeliskoski at gmail.com> wrote:
> NTP server is working properly, I wanted to join the official pool. My score is 19.2 which is excellent, but my whole internet crashes !
>
> Even if I choose the lowest speed it is same. If I make schedule for deletion the server I presume is immediately remove from pool rotation everything is back to normal.
>

> My router is properly configured (Linksys E4200 with DDWRT) for the server, the server is Fedora installed on VMware ESXi 6.7 U2.
>
> It is like UDP flood of NTP requests that crashes my Internet.
>
> In config file I have the lines that prevents KOD (Kiss of Death)
>
> restrict -4 default kod notrap nomodify nopeer noquery limited
> restrict -6 default kod notrap nomodify nopeer noquery limited
>

> Have someone dealt with this or similar issue ?

In general, timekeeping accuracy does not do well on virtual machines.
NTP prefers direct control of the CPU frequency and not through a VM.  VMware
has published papers on timekeeping for local clients, but I have never
seen any reports on the performance of any pool servers that are running
on VM's.

Tom

--
Public Keys: