[ntp:questions] Question about the paper "Internet Time Synchronization: The Network Time Protocol"

Jason Rabel jasonrabel99 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 18:48:53 UTC 2019

> The last paragraph in section III.A describes Fig.2:
>
> - Is phase-lock loop a software component?

In this instance for NTP, yes.

> - I think that VCO means a component commonly found in every computer.
>  Is my understanding correct?

In this instance for NTP, yes. You can assume they mean a computer's
crystal oscillator when talking about a VCO. However, the cheap
crystal oscillator in a computer has no hardware adjustment, the
offset is calculated & controlled in software, so it's kind of like a
"virtual VCO".

> And for Fig.6:
> - Are all parts in the figure software components except VCO?

In this instance for NTP, yes....