[ntp:questions] Hoes a IoT device discover the NTP era with NTPv4?

Nelson Bolyard nbolyard at silverspringnet.com
Mon Mar 11 19:59:39 UTC 2019

I'm working on an IoT device whose clock only runs when it has power.  When it first starts up, and also after every crash, its clock starts at zero.  Today this device uses SNTPv3 to set its clock by contacting a nearby NTP server, and always assumes it is in NTP era zero.

But 2036 is fast approaching.  I want to know how, using NTPv4, a device like mine can figure out that it is no longer in era zero.  Once it figures out the era that it is in, the rest should be easy.

Advice?