[ntp:questions] Ntpq.exe memory issue with windows 2019

Sadique Urf Arbaz Sayyed sadique.sayyed at logicmonitor.com
Wed Oct 21 10:44:03 UTC 2020

We started with a brand new windows server 2019 datacenter edition and installed an infrastructure monitoring agent on it and strictly no other program. The machine had 8 GB of memory. As part of monitoring NTP offset from sync'd host we scheduled a ntpqexe. The problem started after 4-5 days, the memory utilisation had increased to significant level >80%. On analysis we found it was a gradual increase and using RAMMAP we saw every time the ntpq.exe will run it will leave behind 24k of memory in PAGE Table with 0 B in Private. Moreover this issue is specific to windows server 2019 we tried following same steps on windows server 2012 machine and it worked perfectly fine with no memory creeping issues.

Any help or pointer are appreciated