[ntp:security] memory leak

kevin.mcgrath at no.abb.com kevin.mcgrath at no.abb.com
Mon Dec 17 08:54:00 UTC 2007

Hi

We are running NTP on Windows XP Pro SP2.
When flooding the NTP service the ntpd process' private bytes usage grows
continuously. At some point the service will reach its allocated buffer
limit and probably crash. Prior to starting flooding the ntpd process'
private bytes usage is at 921k but once flooding commences after a short
time interval of 100 seconds the private bytes performance counter is 50
MB. These results apply to both the stable and development codebase. The
tested stable version is 4.2.4p4 at 1.1520-modena-o (Meinberg) and the
development version is 4.2.5p106.

The flooding test tool used is the "IP Stack Integrity Checker" (ISIC)
suite at full speed. The purpose of these tests is to understand the
impact on the NTP stack to flooding. The ISIC suite is an open source
tool, which runs on Linux and is available from
http://isic.sourceforge.net. The ISIC version in use is v0.07. The
following ISIC syntax can be used to reproduce the above scenario:

udpsic -i ethX -r 1 -s rand -d <ip_addr>,123 -F0 -V0 -I0 -p10000000,

where X is the Ethernet interface number and 123 is the NTP port number.

Kind Regards
Geir & Kevin