[ntp:security] memory leak

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Wed Dec 19 21:22:00 UTC 2007

Heiko Gerstung wrote:
> Danny et al,
>
> I can confirm a memory leak with 4.2.4p4, penetrating it with ntpload at
> 33000 req/s results in ~0.5M/s increased memory consumption rate which
> is not freed as it seems. I did not crash it, but this would be the
> result if I just let ntpload do its ugly job :-)

Heiko,

Can you test this with the build, as is, from the tarball. I know you
still have made some minor changes to your build and I want to make sure
that those changes are not affecting this. Just remember that the
recvbuf list expands to accommodate the incoming influx of packets and
does not release them. There used to be a limit and I had removed it but
that's true of the Unix version as well. The version I have has barely
changed its footprint since I started to run ntpload (from another
system) against it. The current syntax I'm using is:
ntpload-2.2\Release>ntpload -c -t 10 -u 200 10.60.98.32

and I'm running debug mode which does slow things down somewhat.

Thanks,