[ntp:security] memory leak

kevin.mcgrath at no.abb.com kevin.mcgrath at no.abb.com
Fri Dec 21 10:27:35 UTC 2007

Hi all,

we appreciate the time spent by everyone in trying to identify the issue
here. As of yesterday, I am out of the office and will respond to you in
early january on this subject.
Wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas and a peaceful 2008

Kind Regards
Kevin

Heiko Gerstung <heiko.gerstung at meinberg.de>
12/21/2007 08:48 AM

mayer at ntp.isc.org
cc
Kevin McGrath/NOABB/ABB at ABB, security at ntp.org, Kai Hansen/NOCRC/ABB at ABB,
Geir Guldstein/NOINA/ABB at ABB, Martin Burnicki
<martin.burnicki at meinberg.de>, Frank Kardel <kardel at ntp.org>
Subject
Re: [ntp:security] memory leak

Hi Guys,

I installed a trial version of Rational Purify 7 from IBM on my laptop and
ran
NTPD in debug mode on it. As Danny correctly described, it runs a lot
slower in
this environment and all I got out of it was ~600 req/s (compared to
>40,000
req/s running the release version without Purify).

Purify revealed that a library called BMNET.DLL shows a memory leak. After
some
investigation I found out that this DLL belongs to the driver suite of my
mobile
UMTS data card and is produced by Byte Mobile ("BM"). It is hooked into
the IP
stack of Windows ("LSP") and redirects Windows system API calls (one of
them
being "BMGetPeer").

I did not want to uninstall my whole data card stuff therefore I renamed
that
library (which causes all TCP/IP connections to fail, NTPD will not start
because it cannot bind to the wildcard interface and Firefox simply does
not
return anything when you try to access any web page). I then ran LSPfix
(http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm), a small tool that finds problems in the
winsock protocol stack. It immediately detected the missing DLL and
removed it
from the stack (fixing the registry). That restored my IP stack and I was
able
to access the net and start ntpd.

When I now fire up NTPLOAD I get around 30,000 req/s and the memory leak
is not
there anymore.

Kevin, could you please check if you have such a library in your SYSTEM32\
path?
If not, I would suggest to download and install the trial version of
Rational
Purify 7 from IBM (http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/downloads/r/rpp/) and
run a
debug version of ntpd within it (if you need a binary version of the
4.2.4p4
with debugging enabled, please let me know).

So, after all it seems that this memory leak you see is caused by
something else
in the Windows IP stack.

I am available via email throughout the holidays in case of emergency.

Wishing all of you at ABB Norway (especially Dr. Hansen who I met last
year in
Oslo )and (of course!) Danny

a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,

    Heiko