[ntp:security] Safety of machines behind firewalls in running pre 4.2.8

Danny Mayer mayer at pdmconsulting.net
Mon Dec 22 04:49:49 UTC 2014

On 12/20/2014 8:36 PM, Philip Gladstone wrote:
> On 12/20/14, 11:04, Brad Knowles wrote:
>> On Dec 19, 2014, at 11:22 PM, Philip Gladstone
>> <philip at gladstonefamily.net> wrote:
>>
>>> In this case, the firewall will forward the attack packet through to
>>> the vulnerable server as it appears to be a response to a request
>>> that the server sent.
>> Isn’t this kind of attack possible for virtually every single
>> Internet service in existence?  Machine A chooses to contact Machine
>> B, and Machine B responds in a way that is malicious, but since
>> Machine A contacted it the response from Machine B is seen as a
>> legitimate reply?
>>
>> Unless the firewall knows enough about each and every protocol that
>> passes through in order to sanitize all the packets and only allow the
>> known good ones through, I don’t see any way to resolve this issue.
>>
>> And if you do go the route of requiring the firewall to have complete
>> and perfect knowledge of every single protocol and every single
>> implementation of said protocol, isn’t that a self-DoS?
>>
> I think that the situation is different with NTP. In most cases, the
> client behind the firewall is contacting known systems. For example, an
> SSH client only talks to systems that you know and trust. With NTP, you
> are talking to *any* system in the POOL. I'm assuming (probably naively)
> that up to yesterday all of those systems were run by trustworthy
> organizations (does this include the NSA?). Today, if I was a black hat,
> I would be spinning up 50 servers (or 500) in some hosting provider,
> registering them all in the POOL and thereby get access to a bunch of
> machines behind firewalls.
>
> I agree that the firewall cannot be expected to filter out all malicious
> traffic -- if the organization is running IDS systems, then I would
> expect the signatures to be upgraded to check for this traffic.

No, that's not how ntp works. The ntp server behind the firewall sends a
mode 4 packet to the rogue server. The rogue server needs to return a
mode 3 packet. See RFC5905 Section 3. When the packet is received, if
it's not a valid packet it will get dropped. What are you expecting it
to do? What kind of packet is the rogue server going to send?