[ntp:security] DDoS using reflected NTP attacks

Mark Ward mark.ward.01 at bbc.co.uk
Mon Mar 17 13:19:24 UTC 2014

Hello, I’m a journalist working at the BBC who regularly writes about computer security and wondered if anyone from the NTP organisation would be able to help with a query I had about NTP reflection attacks. I was chatting to some researchers at Arbor who said they had seen a huge increase in the number of attacks using unsecured NTP servers. I was wondering if there was any way for people who run NTP servers to avoid being enrolled in such attacks and what action the community as a whole is taking to limit the damage these attacks can do. I’ve seen the security notices but wasn’t sure how many people had acted upon them or if there was more focussed work being done to harden NTP servers.
Many thanks
Mark

Mark Ward
Technology correspondent