[ntp:security] ntp error

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Tue May 5 14:15:34 UTC 2015

On 5/4/2015 2:05 PM, Jaume Llosa wrote:
> Hi,
> Yesterday the NTP server set the date 09/17/1995 to all my systems. And
> then the NTP server died . You know that means this date?
> greetings,
> Jaume

This isn't a security issue. NTP will not set the date back 20 years
unless it is set up to set the date on startup. If NTP was running when
this happened it was not NTP that did it since it cannot deal with jumps
this large and will exit as you saw. You need to check your systems to
find out what changed the date by that much since it was not NTP doing it.