[ntp:security] Regrading NTP Leap Smear

ashish jaiswal ashu.cs178 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 05:08:55 UTC 2016

Hi Harlan ,

i am testing leapsmear time in ntp4.2.8p8.

I  have configured the 3 server( server A,server B and C) to test the leap
smear in ntp.

server A as Strata 1   leapfile defined

Server B as Strata 2   leapsmearinterval 1day

Server C as Strata 3   nothing special

*Configure server A(test01)*
=================
ntp.conf
-------

server 127.127.1.1
fudge  127.127.1.1 stratum 1
leapfile /var/tmp/leapit

--------------------

*Configure server B(test02)*
=================
ntp.conf
--------
server test01                    /
#leapfile /var/tmp/leapit
leapsmearinterval  86400

*configure Server C(test03)*
=========================
ntp.conf
-------------
server test02

I have run the test for 1 day to get the time log messgae and result are as
mention below:

On server A(test01) we have 1 step back at leap second:

1483228801.295777000
1483228801.495777000
*<1483228800.534392000* <-------we have 1 step back at leap second
!!1483228800.692505000
1483228800.892504000
1483228801.092504000

On Server B(test02)we have 1 step back, then step forward ( I saw once a
step forward then step back)

1483228801.731879000
1483228801.931879000
*<1483228800.961903000*  <------  glitch , 1 step back
!!1483228801.131879000
1483228801.331880000
1483228801.531879000

On Server C(test03) we don’t see glitch,

the ntpd of Server C(test03) don't have glitch  but Server B has the glitch
( 1 step back).

if the server B have a glitch ( 1 step back) , *why sever C don't have
glitch too* ?

please let me know if anything wrong with my configuration.

Thanks and Regards

Ashish Jaiswal