[ntp:security] Questions about AutoKey

Sue Graves sgraves at nwtime.org
Fri Jan 29 22:34:32 UTC 2016

Ram,
What are the reasons for Cornet to use Autokey?
It is no longer being developed and instead we are moving to the NTS spec.
Please see this article:
http://nwtime.org/network-time-security-nts-replacing-autokey/

We'd be happy to arrange for a phone call with you and others at Cornet,
if you'd like to discuss further.

Best,
Sue

On 1/29/2016 7:36 AM, Ram Krishnan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My name is Ram Krishnan and I am a developer with a company Cornet Inc
> in Virgina. Part of requirements for a product we are building is
> AutoKey support on NTP. I have download the latest ntp software and
> incorporated it in. I tried running it with a ntp server on a linux PC.
> The ntp client kept rejecting it and I looked into the code and it looks
> like the key was larger than NTP_MAXKEY. Just for testing I commented
> out some of the MAX checks and it seems to sync up. At least I can see
> the auth ok on the ntp client.
>
> The reason for my email is we are interesting in the autokey feature and
> there was a note on the website asking to contact Harlan. Please let me
> know what questions you might have about the autokey feature and I will
> try to get them answered .
>

> Thank you,
> Ram Krishnan
> Principal Software Engg
> Cornet Tech Inc.

Knowing the correct time isn't always important - until it is.
Join Network Time Consortium http://nwtime.org/join