[ntp:security] NTP server - Gibraltar

Gonzalo de Prado gprado at sapphire.gi
Fri Mar 23 15:19:54 UTC 2018

Good Morning,

We have noticed issues with some new (2 weeks ago) ntp servers installed at Gibraltar within the pool.ntp.org. The servers in question are 185.94.79.79 & 185.94.77.77

Some of our networks devices present time synchronization errors while trying to get the time from those servers, however when we get the time from anywhere in the world everything works smoothly. By default, as we are an ISP at Gibraltar, due to the geolocation, we are always given the above mentioned IPs.

We have been trying to identify what is the problem but we have been unable. The servers actually deliver proper time so there must be another setting we are unable to identify.

We were wondering if you could contact the company responsible for those servers and report it to them or remove their ntp servers from the pool in case you find any suspicious behaviour from their side.

Best regards,

Gonzalo De Prado
Technical Department
gprado at sapphire.gi<mailto:fjgarcia at sapphire.gi>
DDI: +35020049785
Sapphire Networks
Suite 3.0.3, Eurotowers, P O Box 797, Gibraltar
Customer Services
* Tel: +350 20047200
F Fax: +350 20047272

* E-Mail: support at sapphire.gi<mailto:support at sapphire.gi>