[ntp:hackers] Re: [ntp:questions] Re: Public servers?

Dean Gibson (NTP Administrator) ntp at ultimeth.com
Wed Aug 6 14:09:49 PDT 2003

Brad Knowles wrote on 2003-08-06 12:33:
>At 12:26 PM -0400 2003/08/06, Dean Anderson wrote:
>
>>  This is quite obviously not a "valid" listing. Open relay testing is illegal (City of Battle Creek V ORBZ). Further, despite myths, there are reasons to run open relays.

1. By Mr. Anderson's blatant misrepresentation of the "City of Battle Creek V ORBZ" case, he does serious damage to the credibility of his other claims.  This case NEVER ended in ANY determination regarding the legality of open relays;  see http://www.isp-planet.com/news/2002/orbz_020322.html.  Further, if open relay testing was illegal, why has AOL gone from being a spam haven, to routinely doing open relay testing on sites that send it eMail (see http://postmaster.info.aol.com/.) ???

2. There may be "reasons" to run open relays, but the Internet has almost universally rejected such reasons as bogus;  there are ALWAYS alternatives to running an open relay.  If Mr. Anderson is not aware of them (or how to set up reverse DNS), that is his problem and NOT that of the subscribers or owners of the "hackers" mailing list.

>>It would seem you have been experimenting with them on NTP.ORG mailservers. This would be inappropriate.

>If you don't like this policy, you're welcome to unsubscribe from the mailing lists.

Mr. Knowles has my FULL support in using WHATEVER eMail filtering methods he deems reasonable in preventing spam, even to the extent of blocking supposedly legitimate sites which are unwilling to conform to RFC or other practices.

Sincerely, Dean Gibson