[ntp:hackers] Backroom

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Thu Aug 14 06:32:24 PDT 2003

Guys,

Blade 1000 mort.udel.edu is in the shop being upgraded to Solaris 9. All
the campus Solariba have already been uptraded. The only one left is
whimsy.udel.edu and that will happen soon.

The backroom critters have been isolated from campus for periods over
the last couple of days, it seems due to ISDN outages again. The
backroom is at the end of a long, dinky wire from the Newark DMS-150 CO.
It snakes around the backroads and woodlands here in northern Delaware
and very old Verizon infrastructure. The most recent failure was due
repeater fried on a backwoods utility pole. The telco guys know the line
well, as it comes victim of squirrel, backhoe, road rage and general
rust several times a year. I even have a special number to dial for
trouble tickets. I tell you this on the slim chance you have experiments
running here.