[ntp:hackers] Comments invited

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Dec 29 01:49:01 PST 2003

In message <3FEFC5DD.60B98907 at udel.edu>, "David L. Mills" writes:

>The monotonic-increasing behavior coincides with the Lamport
>happens-before partial-order assertion. It's nice to be theoretically
>pristine.

Considering that we have hardware platforms where the CPU clock is 1000
times higher than the only reliable timekeeping device, I think that
implementing Lamports device should happen in code which needs this
service.

>As most of my old cesia have bit the dust, I am reduced to GPS.

The Net4501 is still a great platform, the only one I know which
can timestamp PPS signals with only +/- 125ns jitter for $200.